Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fitness is not just for looks

Eating right, exercising and staying healthy are the things that we know we should be doing.  There is proof at every turn about how much it helps us in life.  I have said it before and I'll say it again that exercise is the fountain of youth.  Aging is inevitable and most people resolve that they should feel a certain way by the time they get to a certain age and accept it.  That's just not for me.  I have had the healthiest body in my 40's than I did in my 20's and 30's.

That being said, I found out just how good taking care of yourself can be when I went to a Quick Trip in Lee's Summit the other day to get gas for my car.  This situation is on the list of my most embarrassing moments, but I am going to share it because it shed some light on the benefits of a healthy life. 

I had been driving for about 2 1/2 hours straight when I stopped.  My legs are usually a little stiff, and I have a knee that doesn't completely bend the full range of motion (that's another story).  I proceeded to connect the gas hose with the car and clean my windshield while trying to stretch my stiff muscles.  Walking to the back of the car (remember that QT's are full of cars and people) I tried to step over the hose and caught my right foot which then caught my left foot on the hose.  There was no slow motion about this.  The next thing I knew  I was on the ground.  I immediately jumped up as people were horrified and asking if I was alright.  I told them that I was more embarrassed than hurt.

I finished gassing up and pulled the car to a parking spot.  It was then that I started assessing the situation.  My left shoulder muscles hurt, but not to where I thought anything was torn.  My hands hurt, but no scrapes.  The way that I landed was on my hands just like someone who was doing the worm would land.  Hands, stomach, legs, feet.  When I went down I just landed like I was going to do a push up. I did a Zumba class that night and felt great after.

Here is my point.  I am in the best shape of my life since high school.  I truly believe that if I weren't where I am today that I would have surely hit my face or busted my head.  My reaction was fast without thinking and my body was strong enough to take the impact.  Plus, the recovery time for when I do get injuries here and there is much faster!

Remember that fitness and eating well are not just for looks.  As we age we need to take care of ourselves so that we can have the best life possible.  That means all of the little things that can be taken for granted, such as, playing with our grandchildren, walking, standing, sitting, going on fun trips etc...

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today!

Stronger, Healthier, Happier and Loving Life

No comments:

Post a Comment